Teaneck Public Library announces the launch of the Meescan self-checkout tool. Meescan is a cloud-based self-checkout system that allows you to use a library kiosk or your own mobile device to check out materials anywhere in the library. The app uses the built-in camera of your smartphone or tablet to scan item barcodes, allowing for quicker service. Meescan is user-friendly, simple to set up, and easy to use. Self-checkout kiosks are located directly in front of the circulation desk and the youth services desk.
How to Use the Meescan app
- Download the Meescan app from Google Play or App Store or visit your app store and search for “Meescan.”
- Open the app on your device. The initial setup must be done within the library at this time.
- Allow Meescan access to your camera and location. (Your camera is necessary to scan barcodes, and your location must be on because the app will only work within the library.)
- Touch “Start” at the welcome screen.
- First time around, you’ll be asked to scan or enter your 14-digit library card number and your PIN or password. (Please ask for help if you’re not sure what to enter.) Press “Start”.
- On the checkout screen, use the “+” button at lower right to check out items. If you will be checking out multiple items, toggle the switch at top center. Align the item’s barcode in the window so that it looks clear, and hold your phone still a moment. (Barcodes are normally found on or inside the back cover of books or on the front of media cases.)
- If you are scanning multiple items, touch “Done” in green after your last item.
- Tap the “Finish” button at top right to complete your transaction.
- You can opt to have your receipt printed at the nearest Meescan kiosk. You will automatically receive an email receipt as well.
- DVDs and video games will need to be unlocked at the circulation desk before you exit.
Watch a quick tutorial video to see how it works: