Beginning Monday, April 26, the library building will be open for scheduled contactless doorside pickup, front desk pickup of reserved materials, express indoor browsing, and express computer usage.
Health and Safety
The health and safety of our staff, patrons, and community are the top priority.
Here is what staff are doing:
- Staff will wear masks at all times in public spaces, and maintain appropriate social distancing.
- Plexiglass health shields have been installed at all public service desks.
- Hand sanitizer stations have been placed at the building entrance, outside the public restrooms, and throughout the library.
- Frequent cleaning of the building, with extra care paid to high-touch surfaces.
- MERV-13 HVAC filters have been installed throughout the entire building to reduce the risk of aerosol spread of Covid.
- Social distancing decals have been applied to the floor as a reminder for all people in the building.
- Self-checkout kiosks have been installed in the main area and youth services department, and a self-service printing kiosk has been installed in the reference department to reduce contact between staff and customers.
Here is what we ask of patrons:
- Visitors over the age of 2 must wear a face covering that completely covers the mouth and nose.
- Maintain a distance of 6 feet from all persons who are not from your household
- Anyone who has a fever, cough, chills or is otherwise not feeling well or who are self quarantining should not visit the library.
- Sanitize your hands upon entering the building.
- All food and drink must be consumed outside the building.
Hours of Operation
Monday – Thursday 9:30 AM – 8:30 PM
Friday – Saturday 9:30 AM – to 4:30 PM
Sunday 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Scheduled Contactless Doorside Pickup
To get started:
- Place a Hold. Reserve up to (20) items for contactless doorside pickup at the library online through the BCCLS catalog, or by calling the Reference Department (for Adult books) at 201-837-4171 ext 2 or the Youth Services Department (for Children and Teen books) at 201-837-4171 ext 4. The fastest service will be to reserve items online through the catalog. If we are not able to answer your call due to high call volume, please leave a message. Or let us surprise you! Fill out a brief form and we’ll select books for you based on your preferences.
- Notification. Wait to receive a notification when your items are ready for pickup.
- Schedule Pickup. Login with your library card number and pin to see your items that are available for pickup. Select the next available date/time and complete scheduling.
- Collect Items. Visit the library at your scheduled time of pickup. Your items will be placed on the table underneath the tent. Locate your items by the name on the receipt. Collect your items and leave. Items must be picked up during their scheduled timeslot or the items will be checked in and returned to shelving or the owning library.
- There will be no park and call pickup. Front desk and scheduled pickup only.
Express Indoor Browsing (Grab and Go)
Beginning Monday, April 26, the library will be open for Express Indoor Browsing (Grab and Go) service during the above hours of operation. The following limitations must be observed by all patrons who participate in express indoor browsing:
- Time Limit: 30 minutes. Please limit your stay to 30 minutes for this express grab and go service.
- 25% Capacity Limit. The purpose of capacity limits are to ensure the safety of all residents and library staff members. Current capacity limits for the library building, and separate rooms and spaces are marked throughout. Directions of staff must be followed in the event that capacity limits are reached.
- Checkout options will be (1) service point at the front desk (adjacent to Adult New Books), the (2) MeeScan self-checkout kiosks (in the Adult New Book section and the Youth Services Department), and mobile MeeScan self-checkout.
Holds will be eligible for front desk pickup and scheduled doorside pickup only. There will be no park and call for doorside pickup.
To prevent cross-contamination, all items must be returned to the outside book drop. To ensure the safety of staff and residents, we are quarantining returned materials for a minimum of 72 hours before discharging from member accounts and allowing the materials to be used again. Please allow up to 10 days for items to be removed from your account after placing them in the book return.
Due to material quarantines, you may receive overdue notices after returning your items. Please disregard – the library will not assess late fines until further notice. Lost material, printing, and other fees may still apply. These fees can be paid as follows:
- Self-service kiosk located in the reference department: lost and damaged material fees, printing (cash, credit/debit card)
- Online at bccls.org: lost and damaged material fees (credit/debit card only). How-to tutorial.
- Front desk: lost and damaged material fees (personal check only)
The following technology services will be offered as described:
- Computers will be available for 30-minute sessions by appointment only. (2) computers designated by staff will be available for use, spaced at least 6 feet apart. Please call 201-837-4171, ext. 2 to make an appointment.
- A scanner will be available for use at each of the (2) computers. The scanners will stay connected to the available computers and will not be loaned separately.
- Copiers will be available for public use. There will be no change available at any public service desk.
- All printing will be retrieved via the self-service printing kiosk. Patrons may send print jobs to the kiosk from the public computers, or remotely by email.
Home delivery service to assisted living facilities and eligible private residences will begin May 3.
In an effort to maintain cleanliness of library facilities, public restrooms are currently open during the hours that the library is open for express indoor browsing only. Public restrooms are cleaned on a daily basis, and as needed.
Additional Patron Services
- The only services currently available at the front desk are checkout, pickup of holds, and payment of fines/fees by personal check.
- Items will be accepted for return in the outside book drop only.
- Fines/fees can be paid at the kiosk in the reference department (cash/coin/credit/debit card), online at bccls.org (credit/debit card), or at the front desk (check).
- For library card renewals, lost materials, or other library account questions please call 201-837-4171 ext 305 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Services Not Yet Available
The following additional library services will not be available until further notice:
- To facilitate social distancing and lessen the risk of transmission in an enclosed space, seating will only be available to those using computers. No other tables, chairs, and other seating will be available.
- Puppets, puzzles, and toys.
- Print Newspapers. (However, digital access to The New York Times and Wall Street Journal are available 24/7.)
The auditorium will be closed until further notice to facilitate 72-hour quarantine of all incoming and outgoing library materials.
All public programs and events will be offered remotely, or outdoors (as weather permits). No indoor in-person programs will be offered until further notice.